Sunday, April 19, 2009

Confidence.

got any?

being that this is my blog and my outlet for the words clogging up my mind on a daily basis, be prepared for a little bit of word vomit in about 1 second.

deep breath....ok.

So I'm a part of the Brevard College Cycling Team (for the moment at least). everybody that reads this probably already knows that, but just clarifying for those who might live under a rock that has wireless access. There's some great kids on the team, really fast on a pedal scooter and fun to be around off bikes too, which is a great thing. There's one thing that I've been noticing though concerning racing, and its something i think i can help with cause its something I've dealt with a good deal in the past and am by no means an expert on, but i think i have some tips to help.

the mental game.

first off, racing is rad and being fast at it is awesome. all the kids are pretty damn fast at what they do, but could be faster. I'm not talking about everyone on the team, and I'm not talking about just one person either. I've noticed people getting super nervous the night before and morning of a race. like not able to sleep, sitting in a corner shivering, doubting their abilities nervous. being nervous before a race is normal i know, but to the point where it affects your performance is not a good thing, especially if you put in a shit ton of training work and are physically prepared. I've been there, for years i lost races because i psyched myself out, thinking everyone was gonna beat me, that i wouldn't be good enough, that i missed that crucial training ride, or didn't get enough sleep, etc. just little shit that gets in your head you know? i got to the point for me that i hated racing and ended up quitting racing altogether for almost 2 years. i don't think it has to be that way, cause racing is supposed to be fun as hell. we've got enough stressful things in our lives like school, work, and chappet's sweet ass.

anyhow, enough rambling. basically what i had to do was just sit down and tell myself that i can ride like hell and that I'm the one to be scared of when i go to a race. i visualize the win and what its going to take to accomplish it, whether its the crucial break or the fastest line down the course. then, i take a huge breath and fill my lungs with the negative thoughts and blow it all out. once I'm at the race i don't think about everyone else, i don't think about the people watching, i think about my lines and getting my practice/warm up in. i have to make a conscious effort to focus my thoughts but it seems to be worth it. i know that sounds like some hippie bullshit, but its what works for me. that, and falling asleep every night to metal in my ears.

so yeah, just a random passing thought that i hope helps with nervousness, because we all want each other to succeed when its comes down to it.

feel free to call me an idiot because of this post,

dano out.
p.s.-
i want this.


No comments: